Welcome to "Dolittle's Bookshelf", a blog dedicated to those who love to read! If you enjoy this site, also check out my website! http://www.wix.com/darcyv/dolittlescorner

Monday, February 8, 2010

On Reading... One Time or Several?

I work in a bookstore. As a bookseller, I get the chance to talk to some interesting people. A few weeks ago, a lady came in and bought a few books I have read. As I was ringing her up, I made the comment "Oh, I love these! I've read them probably a million times!" The lady looked at me as if I were crazy and replied "Oh, I never read books more than once. Why bother? I already know how the story is going to end."

This conversation was shocking to me! First of all, why would you buy a book if it is only going to be read once? Wouldn't the library be an easier (not to mention cheaper) method? Second, is that REALLY why you read a book? Just to find out how it ends? For me, that's not the case. Of course I want to know that everything is going to work out in the end, and I am a sucker for a "happily ever after" ending, but I love stepping into the world of a novel, meeting the characters, and enjoying the writing style of the author. If I love a fictional world, I want to experience it as many times as possible! Which of course means reading a book multiple times.

I'm not saying either method is better; after all, I probably miss out on a lot of great books because I re-read old favorites occasionally, but my method works for me.

What about you? Do you read books once, ten times, a undred times, as many times as you feel inclined? And why?

No comments:

Post a Comment